Welcome to YasoInIndia

I am beginning my journey in Kolkata and traveling along the river Ganges by train. I will document what I see and hear along the way. The trip takes 14 days and this first leg of the journey will end in Rishikesh at the foothills of the Himalayas. I will then go down to South India for two weeks on my own, back to North India (Delhi & Rajastan) for a ten day tour of a number of Social Enterprises. My last stop in India will be the Bollywood capital, Mumbai. I am happy to share my travel stories with you...

Technical difficulties -- I am unable to view comments posted by viewers... :-(

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Varanasi

Wow! Humanity like never see before in multitutes and the mind boggling diversity. Sadus, Budhists, cows, dogs,locals, tourists, scooters, rickshaws, cars, buses all sharing the streets. The Ghats were a another thing altogether. Mixed emotions there. The prayer for mother Ganga last night was breathtakingly beautiful. They do an arathi to the river every night. Live music and 7 beautifully clad priests did the arathi in a beautiful formation- almost a dance.

I am told Varanasi isn't as busy as it usually is at this time. Had to buy postcards and a rudraksi neckless from this quite little girl who did not bother us to buy from her but casually metioned she has had no business for the day.

This is all I have time for today.

Off to Mathura and Vrindhaban by train tonight. Do not expect to have internet connections there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here if you like