Welcome to YasoInIndia

I am beginning my journey in Kolkata and traveling along the river Ganges by train. I will document what I see and hear along the way. The trip takes 14 days and this first leg of the journey will end in Rishikesh at the foothills of the Himalayas. I will then go down to South India for two weeks on my own, back to North India (Delhi & Rajastan) for a ten day tour of a number of Social Enterprises. My last stop in India will be the Bollywood capital, Mumbai. I am happy to share my travel stories with you...

Technical difficulties -- I am unable to view comments posted by viewers... :-(

Friday, January 21, 2011

Sandipani School, Vrindavan


The school is for girls and boys from preschool to grade 12 (population 2500).  The school teaches environmental consciousness, kindness to animals, recycling, gardening, rain water harvesting, and performing arts in addition to the standard academics.  The school is run by a Krisna devotee.  All children are beautiful and absolutely delightful and hugely intelligent (btw, they all know Obama).  They want volunteers to teach kids sports (any), performing arts and English.  The school is run entirely by the non-profit called Food for Life.  The children are fed all three meals of the day plus any one in the community is welcome to eat dinner served there.  A recent new addition at the school I am told is a 6-month old girl- a most unusual admit but they took her in because the mother abandoned her. They grow their own vegetables and make soy milk right there for consumption.  Mothers of the school children make uniforms for kids and other clothing to sell in their store to make income to run the school.  I donated all the Indian rupees I had in my purse before I left.             

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here if you like